The France I love

Written by Diane on. Posted in France, on everything else

The France I love

Tom and I spent the weekend outdoors taking advantage of the nice weather. In the park when we passed other people doing the same thing, we often heard them talking about vacation. Where they had been and where they were going. People’s attitudes and body language were relaxed — and most of all they seemed happy.

It’s summertime and people are out enjoying life, as they should be. Kids and adults alike are on vacation and taking the time to unwind. Families with their dogs splash around in the river. I swear dogs can smile. I like seeing joy on kids’ faces when they taste homemade sorbet on a hot day — and giggle at Dagny doing the same. I like seeing the shopkeepers’ genuine smiles when packing up purchases for customers. I like hearing laughter instead of tense news broadcasts that lead with the death toll.

This is the France I love.

Energetic, colorful, hopeful and kind. The charming streets with outdoor cafes and people out and about just enjoying life. The natives helping tourists and the tourists lighting up when they see something spectacular for the first time. An old castle, a selection of pastries fresh out of the oven, perfectly ripe fruit at the market and flowers that smell as good as they look.

All of this makes me feel calm like the world is OK. That the world will be OK.

France is a place where you can go to lose yourself and sometimes with a little extra effort, you’ll find yourself along the way. Never let that go.

Tags:

• Taste of France

Well said! The French do vacation so well, even the ones who have to work during August.
    Taste of France recently posted…Middle Age SpreadMy Profile

I still get scared that people won’t have a job to return to if they take off for 3-4 weeks over the summer, but somehow that never happens!

• Agnès

Never !!!! And someone did your work too !!! Yeah !! 😉

• Cynthia

This is so very true Diane ! The French culture has always proved that life goes on. People still live, laugh and love in the midst of sorrow. It’s all a part of life. I think that in the US we tend to focus too much on the negative. This way of thinking cheats people out of the simple pleasures in life. I think we could all take some lessons from the french culture ! Very well written Diane !

Thank you, Cynthia! I think the media plays into our collective mentality as well and I’m not saying the news in France is necessarily more balanced or positive but I will say the media in the USA seems to be much worse in terms of fear and negativity. But it’s essential we take personal responsibility for how we feel and if we want to focus on positives or try to bring more of a positive energy into the world, that we do our best to create it ourselves. Even a small act like helping someone at the grocery store or paying for someone’s coffee behind you in line at the coffee shop. For me personally, if I focus on something negative for too long it becomes bigger and bigger and bigger. I’d rather have the same effect with something positive.

• cynthia

Yes Diane ! So true what you are saying here ! And what’s more, it takes so much energy to continually focus on the negative ! There is nothing left for artistic creativity or positive loving relationships ! So yes, as you say: it becomes bigger and bigger. It then swallows you up until there is nothing left in your life ! Keep going ! Love this blog ! You are a true light !

• Deborah

I was at the French Festival in Santa Barbara a few weeks ago and speaking to Marc and his wife. Marc is from France and we spoke of our love of Frsnce. We also spoke about Frsnce as a target of terrorism. What we live about France is not only the beauty, culture, food, etc. It is that France and its people are the light of Hope, the vision of Liberty, and the warmth of Love. No one can ever extinguish the embers of love that give us light and illuminate our way. Never, ever. Vive la France!

Thank you for sharing! Sounds like a nice festival and yes, the French people will win.

• Gwyneth

I love this post and it really is so French. I heard recently thatLa Grande Braderie de Lille has been cancelled due to terrorism concerns. My French acquaintance just said, “No, this is not the French way! Knowing the people of Lille, they will still do it unofficially.” I thought about how young she is at 20 years old, still so full of hope and courage; but then I also thought about how it really is such a French attitude, and how beautiful it is. This is a post that she had shared (read it in French or use the Google translation tool: https://korizo.wordpress.com/2016/08/05/annulation-a-2e/#more-453

Thank you, Gwyneth. I will check out the post. Yes, I heard about that event being cancelled too and can understand both sides’ point of view. I don’t know what the solution is. Thx again for commenting.

• Penny and Mark

Hi, Diane–There’s nothing more we would like for France than to be happy and safe–the way we experienced it when we visited last September. We are returning next month to a different area of the country, but I have to say that last year’s excitement is a bit tempered with the recent tragic events. However, we fell in love with France, so here we come! All of those little things you mentioned are what makes life so special, no matter where you are! Sure hope it’s cooler there than here–it has been one torrid summer in NE Ohio!

Penny and Mark

It’s been so mild here. Granted the forecast says 91 for Monday and Tuesday but the last week or so had mid-70s as a high out where I am. That’s my kind of summer!
      What part will you be visiting next month? Hope you have a great trip!

• penny

Mid 70’s sounds like a wonderful dream, Diane! Last year we did Rouen, Amboise and Paris. This year heading for Colmar, Black Forest, and Strasbourg. Staying in a B and B and at a farm!

Penny

• Jo-Anne

Thank you, I like learning more about the French
    Jo-Anne recently posted…This and ThatMy Profile

You’re very welcome!

• French Girl in Seattle

Bonjour Diane. It won’t surprise you when I say I love this new blogpost. I am biased, clearly, but am so grateful these days for positive stories about my homeland. Thank you for writing this! I will be sharing it with the French Girl in Seattle Facebook community where I know many will enjoy it too. Well done. Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)
    French Girl in Seattle recently posted…To Nice, France, with love.My Profile

Thanks so much, Veronique. I think sometimes it’s very easy to see the negatives in life (not just about places, but people, their ideas, their actions, etc.) — it’s only normal, we all do it — and when I have that urge, I try to snap myself out of it and look at the bright side. I never have any trouble finding the silver lining. For me, noticing the little things in life is an immediate mood refresher so hoping this post acts as the same for those who read it. 😉 Merci encore !

• Marine

As a niçoise, i was so sad After the 14th of july…. (I spent the night, months ago, hidden in a restaurant just near by the Bataclan during the november attacks…) hopefully we left our beloved city to go to holidays and it helped me to smile again and enjoying the présent with my husband and kids.
    I decided not to watch tv and stop reading the news ont the internet (Facebook…)
    I feel so much better now that i live every single day not letting the news invade and pollute me.
    I stay lucid, alert and every morning when i wake up i think about this horrible period the France is living… But i go on, I smile, I eat, I go to the beach, I drink the apéro with friends… We have fun, despite our fears (they are common fears, sharing this suffering is a help) Because we don’t know how to Live differently… Pleasure, It’s in our DNA!
    Marine recently posted…Nice. La fouleMy Profile

So happy to hear you’re feeling better now, Marine. I too know how damaging the news can be especially after a tragedy. But we keep on living and ultimately get through it stronger. Thank you for your comment!

• Jess

Diane, this is so refreshing to hear after all the horrors we hear all too often these days. It’s definitely a different time, but it’s nice to know that there is still beauty, joy, and laughter to be had. Cheers to more cheerful summer days ahead! 🙂

-Jess
    Jess recently posted…Expats We Love: DianeMy Profile

Yes, it’s so easy to find the good. Not saying we should ignore the bad by any means sometimes a shift of focus can be so powerful.

Thank you!

• annette chalton

I am leaving Australia in two weeks to return to my holiday home in Brittany to spend a month in our village. I am confident that travelling is so essential to life that I will let nothing stop me. Your positive post is well timed.
    annette chalton recently posted…Bleu, Blanc and Rouge Festival 2016My Profile

Have a wonderful trip!

• Margo Lestz

Thanks for this nice post reminding us of the good and happy times in France. After the attack in Nice, it has taken me some time to feel relaxed and safe again, but I’m getting there. Thanks again!

It’s really hard after an attack to feel normal and safe. I just try to appreciate the good all around me the best I can. Glad you enjoyed the piece!

• Phoebe | Lou Messugo

Thanks for linking this beautiful positive post to #AllAboutFrance, I’m sure everyone who links up can relate to it.
    Phoebe | Lou Messugo recently posted…All About France #20My Profile

You’re welcome. Yes, I hope people can relate. It’s just a reminder that good will outweigh the bad.

• Our French Oasis

This is the France I love too, it has been a good summer, we are on the coast and it is fantastic to see it crowded, overflowing with people out and about to enjoy themselves, a wonderful atmosphere and a feeling of hope.

Awesome, so happy to hear that!

• Rosie Hill (@EcoGitesLenault)

It can be all too easy to lose the true France in amongst the bad news – this is so refreshing to read and certainly what I have seen around and about too – people getting on with life and enjoying it … as it should be #AllAboutFrance

Yup, that’s exactly why I wrote this. After seeing about 10 articles all over the web about how dangerous France was and tourism being down, I was fed up. Thank you for taking the time, as always, Rosie. And I’m sorry I haven’t joined up at Animal Tales lately. Haven’t written anything pet-focused in a while!

• Rosie Hill (@EcoGitesLenault)

I help run a Facebook page for owners in the UK and France to promote their holiday cottages and one owner (with a UK cottage) wanted to post … “As it is now so dangerous to travel abroad … ” Naturally I didn’t publish the post and I was furious as it is talk like that which those who want to harm France want to hear and be spread. We have just bid farewell to another set of guests who have had a wonderful holiday here in our gite and I really do not believe that France is any more dangerous that anywhere else.
        Rosie Hill (@EcoGitesLenault) recently posted…Weekly Green Tips – Storing your Garden ProduceMy Profile

Thank you!

• Girl Gone Gallic

Perfectly said…there is still much to smile about here in France and everywhere else in the world. Let’s not forget that!

Thank you, agreed!

• Richard

Hi Diane. Thanks for writing this — this is the France we love, too! We’re making a late-August swing through central France, and even in this heat it’s still a country with great natural beauty, deep historical interest — and, yes, some very fine places to sit out on the restaurant’s terrasse with a good meal and a picher of French red…. Life is good!

• Julie

We’ve loved Coming to France for nearly 30 years & never tire of anything it has to offer – every year we have the grin of someone who has discovered something new even though we now visit the same area! It’s always been an escape for us & we certainly become different people when we’re here. Sadly heading back to the UK today after nearly 4 months, but back next month so can’t complain!

• Ashley

I have yet to experience the many weeks paid vacation in France… I”ve still got my fingers crossed! Sadly I work for myself so it’s a bit tricky!