Grocery cart on wheels: Old lady style or chic?

rolser-chariot-a-courses-mountain-mf If you’ve spent some time at French marches or grocery stores, you’ve surely seen a few chariots de course (also called pousette de marche), that serve in place of grocery bags. Not only are they easier on the environment but they are easier on your body especially when you have a bunch of groceries and a long way to walk. I used to think these grocery carts on wheels were only for the senior citizen crowd, but in Paris, they seem to be the chic way to transport your groceries from the market to your house.

Are these shopping trolley things granny chic or just granny? Read on!

Let me confess that I broke down and bought a red Rolser chariot de course this weekend. Our new house is right next to the marche and close to the supermarket and I figured it was about time to ditch the grocery bags and look more French. But I can’t help but think these carts are for people who are 80+ years old. Would this fly in New York City? Would anyone under 40 use one? Well, in Paris that answer is a HELL YES. Tom’s brother wheels his cart to his grocery store in Paris like it’s totally normal. And that’s the thing, it IS normal.

From a practicality standpoint, they’re fantastic. Mine is waterproof, insulated and cinches closed at the top (keeps the rain, sun and curious dog noses out). Going up the stairs is a breeze. They save your palms from getting torn up from the handles of heavy grocery bags and make walking 20 minutes a breeze. The roller carts even come in a bunch of chic patterns, colors and styles.

But something tells me the Whole Foods back home in the U.S. doesn’t have these things. Instead, they sell all kinds of chic grocery bags and NOT chic carts.

So what’s the problem? They just seem like something for senior citizens who physically can’t carry groceries. But hey, if the cool kids in Paris use these things, why can’t I, right?

Anyway, I think I’ve crossed over. Not sure if I’ve crossed over to being more French or more like an old lady.

What do you think? Do you use (or would you use) a convenient grocery cart on wheels?

• Thuy (Twee) Phelps

I love the rolling carts. No more lugging around heavy items from the store. When I lived in Germany, we went on shopping trips to Poland, mainly for the pottery, but I brought back 2 rolling wicker baskets/carts that I use for dirty laundry. I always get comments about them. Back to the carts you’ve shown, they are tres chic looking.

Yes, they are definitely practical and very European. And I think I did manage to find a “cool” one!

• Mike

OK I have to say yours is chic, normally they aren’t that nice. At least not here. ALso while yes prob a way better way of transport I can’t picture someone under 80 using it, ha!

I think that’s the American in us saying they are for old people. Didn’t you break down and get one in Paris?? I vaguely remember that! 😉

I keep avoiding using one. They seem too much trouble in a crowded market or the bus. They do think they are for older people. But after a while when the shopping bags’ straps starting cutting into my hands I start to get envious and wish I had one.

When in France, Alan…. I say get one!

• Kari

I’m 22 and I use one almost every time I go to the grocery store here. My boyfriend used to tell me he would rather die than be caught rolling one of those suckers down the street, but I have converted him! He still calls it my “mamie” cart, though.

I read that Target is going to start introducing them in certain markets in the US, but I don’t ever think they’ll be as common as they are here. The average city is too spread out and stores too decentralized for them to be very practical. But they are perfect for European cities!

Is your boyfriend French? They seem OK and even “cool” in larger cities. I’ll give it a go. I’m all for making things easier and this surely does. I agree — def can’t see them working in the US!

• Cosette

We use these here in Melbourne too. Since I walk to the market, it’s convenient as I couldn’t carry all my groceries, but I still feel like an old lady with it lol.

Well happy to know I’m not a alone in my old lady ways 😉

• Stella

We use it a lot in France vit we do think it’s “Mamie” style! That’s the weird thing! We all think we look like an old lady but it’s so convenient thy we use it anyway! And since they make nice and funny one, we can look not so old!
    Here in Belgium I haven’t seen many of them! Mine comes from Ikea, it’s navy blue whith big white polka dots!

Ohh sounds nice! I think stylish carts definitely up the cool factor, so as long as they don’t look like mamie carts, we’re ok!

• Amanda @ Adventures All Around

Love it! I bought one a while back and felt I had to embrace my inner Nanna (mind you, she gets an outing quite a bit these days). I didn’t realise they were so chic in other parts of the world.

Mine’s also red. After all, if you’re going to embrace Nanna chic, you may as well do it loud and proud 🙂

Absolutely! Glad you’re rockin’ the red too. I’m actually excited to use it!

• Christine Snyder

I love these! I wish they’d catch on in the states, but I may not wait. I’ll be looking for one of these!

I must admit, they are quite convenient!

• Jct

I wasn’t to buy some old fashioned cloth filets as we called them when I lived in France……any one know where I can get some?

Hi there, you can check on Etsy.com or Ebay.fr for lots of French vintage finds. Good luck!

• Arvilla Rehbein

I would like a rolling grocery cart like the ones in France. Any help???

Yup, just click one of the links in the post and it’ll take you to Amazon where you can search. 😉 Enjoy!

• lena

I just moved to Paris 1 week ago, yesterday I did grocery shopping, well a third of it anyway, and today I am online researching these bad boys! So I agree, when in France…

But any advice where to pick one up physically in Paris, I dont have a permanent address yet so cant order and ship.

Merci

Hi there, I’m afraid I can’t be much help here since I don’t live anywhere near Paris, but they should sell them at any of the big supermarket chains. Maybe even street vendors at the marche sell them too? Just ask around — shouldn’t be too hard to find since everyone has one. Thanks for stopping by and good luck 😉